Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cars dad had

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I can only imagine. Sounds like he had some rare talents for even the time when there were more of us with them. I still make templates and shape metal. Make crazy useful stuff occasionally. Although much of that is really in the past and is just a normal part of life to me now. I also taught myself to weld with a $20 buzz box that I hauled home behind my bicycle on the homemade cart it came with. Older sheet metal is finicky to weld but not impossible. Used to keep all my short sticks for welding exhaust at their tops til my late 20's savings over a year for a mig. No such thing as an auto dimming helmet. Of course every broke bum like me, and their mother were coming to me for exhaust patching on the cheap. Trade for parts or tools or a little cash. Maybe beer. Man, talking about your dad's inventiveness is really bringing back memories to me of my whole life so many miles away. Thanks for sharing about a man I would have personally related to so much. The angle iron one really got me. Making clean crisp bends. That's entirely different from sculpting steel with hammers and tools an dollies and such. That was an achievement I really worked for and mastered without a brake also. I know how proud he must have been of that one too. Haven't known many guys with the knack for self taught back yard garage talents but he sure sounds like somebody I would have just spent hours and hours talking with.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I did spend hours and hours talking with him, and a lot of it was of course, car related. The two pieces of angle iron and clamps works pretty good. I mean, a brake would be the cat's ass but, how many of us have room for one, let alone paying the price for it.

I always thought, if I had a shop equipped like my high school metals shop, the things I could build...........Sheet metal brakes, milling machine, lathes, every kind of welder you could ever want or need, including spot, MIG, TIG, stick, on and on along with pretty much any other metal working equipment you could ever use. The there was the hand tools, metal shears, hole punches, english wheel, planishing hammer and things I probably have forgotten. Oh, let's not forget the fully stocked steel and aluminum supply. Sheet, angle, square tube, round tube, etc.............................All the space the metals shop has would also be awesome! I took metals shop all 4 years and was lucky to have an instructor that not only knew how to do everything, he was excellent at teaching others to do it. Senior year was called "Advanced Metals". You had to have taken the first 3 years of metal shop and only 15 students were accepted. The instructor decided who those 15 were based on the prior years performance, grades and the level that you advanced. You had to apply for the class and, not meaning to brag, got in no problem. Best part was, it was 2 periods per day instead of just one. Unrelated but better yet, phy ed class was NOT mandatory for seniors and that worked for me! Always HATED phy ed class.

Anyways, between that and what I learned from my dad (he was also excellent at teaching and was always calm, even if you screwed up. Think Norm Abram type calm), got fairly good at it and enjoy doing it. What I really don't care for is when it's all done and time for paint. Painting a car isn't exactly on the top of my love-it list.
    Last edited by aspen79; 1 Week Ago at 05:44 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well I would have enjoyed knowing your dad as much as you obviously enjoyed your time of knowing the man who made you into one.

I taught myself how to do all manner of things better than I was ever shown or used what I knew in theory or from failure to figure other things out. Talking to other guys like that is always a great time. Your descriptions make him seem like just one of those guys who was a real treasure.
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 1 Week Ago at 06:34 AM.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I feel very lucky to have the parents I had. Neither of them EVER hit (i.e. spanked) my brother or I and I can't recall one single time either of them raised their voices, or ever got mad about anything for that matter. We never got the "no, because I said so". It was always "no and this is why..........." If they ever argued, which I doubt they ever did, it was never where the kids could hear. Lucky doesn't even begin to describe it, now that I think of it. When my mother got sicker and sicker from MS, my dad never left her side, right up until the end in 2009. He did change after that, was never the same man but at the same time, he was still the same man, if that makes any sense. I miss them both so much.

Taking a battery over this morning and see if the Coronet will run enough to get it around to the driveway. If the guy who's taking it can make it, it'll also be loaded on a trailer and taken back to his place. Not to worry, anything good can and will be removed before the remains go the the scrap yard. I also want to try and get the Fury started to at least put it in the empty garage stall for the time being. I'm not even going to waste my time trying to start the Valiant. It hasn't been run in years. Don't know how many years but, the plates expired in 1994. Although, my dad had made a "universal aux fuel system". Basically an old lawnmower fuel tank on a stand that is hooked to the fuel pump OR with the additional stand, used to gravity feed the carb. Have my doubts but you never know, the Valiant might surprise me. Chances are though, it'll get towed to the front. The worst part will be getting in either of the cars. There is obvious mouse and/or other rodent evidence inside them. Those rodents can do more damage than the sun ever could.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    We're in the process of getting the Coronet to it's new home. Turns out, it doesn't run, not even a pop. We drug it out, after taking down a fence panel and now that I got a good look at it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,holy you know what. It's at LEAST 5 times rustier than I thought. I mean rusty as in even if it was a Coronet R/T Hemi 4 speed, there would be no hope, seriously. One piece of the side trim is missing and the others aren't worth the trouble of taking them off. Corroded beyond description and a couple corroded right through. I thought the rear subframes had been replaced but turns out, I remembered wrong. It was just the rear couple feet and the shackle mounts. As of now, that's the ONLY part of the rear subframes that exists. The rest is completely gone. No trunk floor at all and the fuel tank is about to fall out, inner fenders are barely there yet, back of th trunk lid is missing, even the gosh darnit roof is rusted through. There is basically no torsion bar x-member, the floors are barely there and the upper control arm/shock towers are getting ready to become a seperate piece from the inner fender panels. Thank you so much Wisconsin for spreading all that salt to keep us "safe". The guy that's taking it went back with his trailer to get a tractor to push it on the trailer so I'm waiting for him to get back and it seems the internet is still working here, probalby not much longer though. Hope we can get it on hios trailer, the car has about 2" of ground clearance in front. The way the lf tire sits, I kind of think there's more wrong than just the t-bar mount. SOmething else is rusted off also but there's no way to see what.

United States
    Thanks
    I need to edit my last post. When I said the Coronet was 5 times worse than I thought, that was being nice. It's more like 10 times worse. We had to push it on the trailer with the bucket on a tractor. About half way up, because of the torsion bar hanging down, it got high centered. He hooked the bucket under the bumper and trailer hitch and lifted while pushing forward and the car tried to break in half. Both rear doors popped open and in the car, all I heard was creak, crunch, snap. Scary but we got it loaded up. As bad as it was, it was still kind of sad to see it being hauled away. Honestly, he probably will have no problem getting the rear end out of the car and may not even need any tools. It's really only attached to the car by the shocks and shackles. The hangers are pretty much attached to nothing. If you lifted the car up, the whole works would almost drop out on it's own. I haven't seen a car that rusted in a long, long time. Actually, I don't think I've EVER seen one that bad. Should have taken my camera along but it never crossed my mind until I got there this morning.

It was tough to steer and keep it centered on the trailer since it's got about 3" toe out and the left at least 5 degrees negative camber, maybe more. The car didn't seem to follow where you steered it and with the torsion bar pushing down on the center link and left tie rod ends, along with no steering assist, it wasn't exactly easy to turn the wheel either. Funny part is, the brakes still work(!)

I tired to get the Fury running but no dice. It'll run if you dump gas in the carb but that's all. Yes, there is gas in the tank but the fuel pump must be kapoot or, the fuel line is plugged up somewhere. We got it pushed in the garage anyways, which is a much better place than in the driveway. I don't even remember the last time there wasn't at least 1 car sitting in the drive. Looks kind of strange now with an empty driveway! Not even going to waste my time trying to get the Valiant started. The Duster,,,,,,,maybe I'll give it a try but it's in the garage, where it's been for the past 20 years.
    Last edited by aspen79; 1 Week Ago at 02:16 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I wondered when I saw the holes in the top of the quarter. I could see enough of that trunk lid to know it was bad. At least you got it out in one piece. It will provide a few good pieces still.

Glad to hear the Fury went inside. That will be better for it.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    On the other side of the spectrum, dad's (going to be my brothers) 2012 Charger is back from the body shop. They did an EXCELLENT job, just like I knew they would. When we were going to get it fixed, the list of body shops was short, very short. Actually the list had one name on it, Yach's Body and Custom. Added bonus, it's about a 16 minute walk from my house. Only 2 streets over but it's at the opposite end of the street as my house is on. I'm next to the frontage road and freeway, the shop is near Lakeshore Drive along the lake. Doesn't seem that far in car, walking it feels like it's a whole lot farther and I'm not 25 anymore, LOL.

It only has 5,300 miles and still smells new inside. Dad's insurance company (Same one I have), American Family was a joy to work with. Good people there.

Before and after. Actually they ended up loading as after and before but, what are you going to do? I didn't take a pic of it but, the right side is repaired also, of course. We paid the extra $154 to get a new right front fender vs having it repaired as the estimate was made out for. It had rust on the corner where it was bent and was rusted to about 1/2 thickness. Better yet, only the lf wheel was aftermarket and, the passenger side mirror was used. Otherwise, all genuine new Mopar parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00575.jpg   DSC00574.jpg   DSC00547.jpg   DSC00548.jpg   DSC00549.jpg  
    Last edited by aspen79; 2 Days Ago at 06:17 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Car looks great! It is always good to hear of a positive insurance experience, all too often, the customer has to makeup the short fall.

United States
    Thanks
    Both the insurance company and the body shop were a dream to work with.