Thread: Plymouth Makes It!

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Plymouth Makes It!

I feel kinda bad that I haven't had any MOPAR scale builds to share with you guys. But I do have several fresh builds in the works.

This Original issue MPC '71 GTX body and bare interior tub I got for a song. Not literally. I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. Added AMT 1971 Charger inner fenders with Revell '68 Charger shock towers for their increased accuracy. Used the seats front and rear from the Charger too and painted up the interior in several tones of golds mixed into tans for the best I could recreate of an original interior in a car I doubt I could afford today for real.

71 only, Mood Indigo. The paint I had mixed at my local automotive paints store as quick dry enamel isn't a perfect match in their mix of the smallest amount they can make, at 6 oz. But it will do the job. The paintjob sucked too since they made it with a thinner that was drying in the air before it could hit the body, making an orange peeled mess out of it. I couldn't spray closer with the volume coming out of the rattle can nozzle without risking sags and runs. But I decided this thing was too much to look at anymore finally.

Sanded most of the orange peel out with 1,000 grit before stopping. Finished the paint to smooth in progression of 1200 and 1500 grits. 2000, 2500 & 3,000 grits smoothed out the scratches left behind by the courser grits. Hand finished with 3M Machine Polish then Micro Finishing Polish on a water misted micro fiber towel. Pretty happy with it's progress at this point.

I guess I need to get busy on the chassis and engine details now! I may never show this car outside of posting it to the internet but I most certainly want to be proud to place it in my displays.

The build is a 440 4spd with Air Grabber. It will ride on proper 15" Rallyes from Fireball, while I've yet to decide upon if they hold original Polyglas tires or a staggered set of 295/50 and 235/60-15 BFG Radial TA's for a more modern appearance. I'll leave that detail to be decided when I get there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 246392002_3010770975857107_8075312791255491630_n.jpg   246392002_3010771085857096_5929220329776658292_n.jpg   20210215_122941_resized.jpg   71RRint.jpg   71RR3.jpg   124062629_2746784775589063_3675464289022417362_o.jpg  
    Last edited by Rattle Trap; 10-19-2021 at 05:25 AM.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Cool! I wish I had that kind of patience and a place to display. I have tried in the past, just a no go for me.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's easier than rebuilding a carburetor! Lol!

Just something to relax and enjoy doing in peace. If I'm too tired for other work or anxious, it allows me to focus on something else. If it frustrates me, I put it away until I think of picking it up again, and choose some other car to mess with. There's no time table and you can have as many as you like at this size. It's better than playing video games or some other complete waste of time where there's nothing produced in the end as a reminder of accomplishment. I still have some of my early builds to enjoy displaying in comparison to where I am with it today too. Even if I'm not a master I can see the improvements, so an old poor build has meaning to look back on with pride. Like a small hand turkey with my name scratched on it crudely. Lol!
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Here's an old Plymouth for ya. Barn Find! Hey and can you believe the tires still hold air? LOL!

It actually got lost behind one of my wife's picture frames on a shelf for a bout a decade and since it looked so good like this I left it alone and put it into an acrylic case so it'll stay like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 243098628_2995049430762595_8840050687284719888_n.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Cool! I have a few things that look similar once the big object they fell behind is moved.
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Here's one I was pretty upset about for a couple years. A primer can popped off nearby and sprayed straight up in the air, but droplets found their way to the shelf this Cuda built in the 80's was on. I didn't want to ruin the satin black by trying to rub the blotches off. They're on the glass too. Really upset. Then one day it dawned on me that it looked like the thing was covered in bird poop! Suddenly it was Hilarious and I'm alright with it. We all have this problem in the real world. But I seriously don't know anybody else with a model car that birds have crapped on... LOL!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 242928392_2995082900759248_6650160607719211943_n.jpg  
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    You should make a lamp post with a pigeon perched on it and have it next to the Cuda :-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stalkervette For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (10-23-2021)

United States
    Thanks
    I dropped a can of white spray paint when going thru the gate of the back yard fence. The aluminum fence is powder coated black. The nozzle snapped off and white spray paint sprayed white dots over 15 feet of fence. I spent hours trying to clean it off. Still not perfect. I should of just said it was bird poop and forgot about it. LOL

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 77rr2x4s For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (10-23-2021)

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    I dropped a can of white spray paint when going thru the gate of the back yard fence. The aluminum fence is powder coated black. The nozzle snapped off and white spray paint sprayed white dots over 15 feet of fence. I spent hours trying to clean it off. Still not perfect. I should of just said it was bird poop and forgot about it. LOL
    Hey, if it looked plausible... LOL! I highly doubt your fence would pass as being bird pooped. But maybe...

It did not look anything of the sort on the car that was more heavily paint damaged here when that happened. The Cuda just sat there right on top of it like stacked at the junkyard off on a side shelf until that one day I went to dust it and saw it differently. The other was a Brand X. A nice build at the time, but nothing I was as proud of as my first time making a vinyl top on a car, like the Cuda. Destroying my original build on the Cuda would feel wrong so I'm glad I found a way to be at peace with how it is today. I tried sanding the other one as a test to see if I could "restore" my original Cuda build, but the paint thinned quickly even with 1,000 grit. So I left it sit like that too until yesterday when I finally tore it down for a rebuild. Stripped the chrome parts off and bagged them. Tossed the body in the purple bath. Then sanded the windshield and side glass down to 3,000 removing all traces of the nasty blotches. When I get to repainting and detailing the body again I'll polish it all up and it can come out for display as a partial rebuild. I don't suppose I'll mess with the rest of it. Leave that as built in the day.
    Volare Magnet