Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1979 Dodge Aspen Grille

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I bet it would be worth putting them into an industrial size printer. I've got one nos. Keep it in the cool basement in its box until someday I need it. Hoping it's just UV damage that kills them, like the light colored interior plastics from even behind factory tinted glass.
    Volare Magnet

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

kent (11-03-2021)

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    My grille may be more brittle than it would have been, if it weren't for where some idiot had it stored until it was needed. I had it in the attic above the attached garage and utility room of the house for 5 or 6 years. It's lined with 1/2" foil faced rigid insulation but, it still gets hot up there. Never crossed my mind, at the time, it wasn't the best place to keep it. A basement would be perfect except,,,,,,,,,,my house doesn't have one Can't say for sure if being up there affected it, but I suspect it didn't help matters any.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Owned since 1987, big block since 1989
    1996 Dakota Sport owned since 1998, 3.9L. Winter DD
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, bought 2017, summer only DD
    Let's go Brandon!

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The printing part would be relatively easy. The tedious part would be getting hold of a scanner big enough for the job and all the CAD cleanup work needed because the grill would shadow itself in the scanner.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I feel like it could be useful to build a jig from plywood laminated with mounting points to match those on an OE unit including jig sections for the outline. Then it would be possible to cut aluminum strips and angles, fasten them into the jig and a little TIG and it would be much stronger than an original. It would cost too much to make the boxes all from aluminum, but a 3D print of sections of the boxes could be made and fastened into the frame.

I don't know how much something like that would cost, and it certainly wouldn't fool anyone into thinking it is original, but for those of us with drivers or non-concourse cars it might be something to work on.

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If the main section frame were made from aluminum I think that would be the ticket just as you say. The idea of laying segments of several boxes into the frame from behind is really smart too. Their connection tabs could be made thicker and a little wider for strength, with extra recess to go behind the aluminum bars where they'd get screwed to those, instead of mounting to the main bar sides. You wouldn't even need to make the lens housings really since even when mounting tabs do break off, they can be replaced easily enough especially if new ones were printed. So you'd just make the main center frame so it could be screwed to the inner sides of the marker housings But that main frame would definitely need it's own extensions to the 3 core support mounting locations due to weight. If it weren't for the complete lack of space to turn the bolts to the core support with a grille in place, the whole mounting could be made into the grille center. I bet the side mounts could be made differently to accommodate that way of mounting from behind the tabs on the marker housings that would already be bolted into the main section as part of the grille assembly. I think you'd just need to step the aluminum so the ratchet can go in from the middle section instead of from behind the markers.
    Volare Magnet