Thread: Holley 1945 issues

Aspen and Volare Junior Member Jansen5's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Holley 1945 issues

So I was just seeing what issues everyone has had with their 1945 carb just to try and find a solution for my own. It idles like a dream but when I press on the gas it falls on its face more often than not. Also when I manage to get it up to speed sometimes itíll backfire on acceleration and when I give it gas to really speed up itíll backfire and sputter like clockwork. Never fails. My catalytic converter is getting super hot (glowing bright red and orange) . Which is telling me itís getting too much fuel and air for some reason. I originally took it to the shop for a damaged float but decided to just get a full rebuild anyways since it was due for it. Ran fine before I took it there (until the float decided not to work) I really want to make this carb work I doubt itís anything super serious itís just a matter of finding what the actual problem is. Iím not very familiar with this carb but I heard itís not the best. Was hoping someone who knows this thing in and out could give me a hand.

Aspen and Volare Member
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, not being the mad scientist on the 1945 . . if it ran good before I would go back to who touched it and have them check what they touched; and if you suspect your getting that much fuel to your cat, I would check your plugs for some tell-tale there . . .

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Not so many carb experts around these days compared to the 1970s. I had to learn all about how they work in general and the specifics of my model from a lot of online research here and all over. Even then I got a wideband O2 sensor setup and then I was finally able to get it to mostly work. Also, the rebuild kits have become lower and lower quality and other parts are nearly impossible to get. The solution seems to be to put on some "modern" after market carb that still has parts available, or EFI.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Like anything, eventually the people who knew about a certain thing, pass away. Considering the last new car sold that had a carb was 30 years ago, it goes with the trend. Before that it was points ignition and try to find someone who can overhaul a fluid drive trans before that. Same holds true for non-automotive things as well. Probably why we get so many older vehicles in our shop. Avg age of the 5 of us in the shop is 52 so we remember how to work on cars of the 50', '60's, '70's.......... most other independent shops around here are much younger and just simply don't know much about older vehicles. Nothing against them, it's just the way it goes and will go 'till the end of time.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

5. The Following User Says Thank You to aspen79 For This Useful Post:

Rattle Trap (2 Weeks Ago)

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep. Highlights things I would rather forget. Also, you damn kids, get off my lawn!

Aspen and Volare Member
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by doublechaz View Post
    Yep. Highlights things I would rather forget. Also, you damn kids, get off my lawn!
    Dig it!!