Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring the old.

Advisor
    United States
    Thanks

Restoring the old.

Hello, Im FBR but Joe Dirt might be a bit more fitting so either is OK.

Im a fellow F body owner and a bit of a records keeper and history nerd. Ive been tasked by the site owner to restore some of the old AV site here and make some assessments on the health and condition of this website and possibly do a bit of cleaning and rearranging but be assured I am not here to set anything ablaze or rock the boat.

This site is in need of a good bit of cleanup prior to any condition assessment so you might notice some subtle changes in the near future. Im here to fix, not judge but some things really should go and ive read some postings on opinions of the same nature.

Here is a brief rundown of things going on.

One thing that is abundantly clear and one reason for the lack of new members is the seemingly complicated registration process that seems to of been going on for years as the email logs have shown. I could easily determine it was the "slant six" that is clearly posted but missed by most. So that needs to be simplified.

Some of the recovery process has been semi easy but most has been like going through the ruble of a imploded building, slow and tedious but so far ive recovered over 2500 pictures. While its being determined the best way to get these photos back into the public view I have read and heard some have even lost there own personal project pictures so them are now available.

Maybe some recall the vast amount of exceptional pictures that were more misplaced then lost.

I also just noticed a bit of a slow picture upload process.

Any input on what or where to place some of these pictures is welcomed as well as any other thoughts. We all know this is the only public website dedicated to the F body cars and I tend to think websites are like a large bus and the members fill the seats so as things progress and slowly change a bit let hope the bus fills all the way up. So lets rock it out and be grateful the current owner has stayed the course.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	030.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	7081

Name:	0085.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	7082

Name:	226.jpg 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	7084

Name:	SCAN00031.jpg 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	7083

Name:	12_18_11_E.JPG 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	7085

Name:	9.jpg 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	7086

Name:	Aspen-rt-pla-22.jpg 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	7087

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator kent's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Welcome FBR! Thanks Matt!!!
    Yes I know when we lost all that information on the old site I was like WTF??? All those hours of finding and taking and scanning picture of parts books and service manuals all lost. I'm no computer geek but I got the job done but it took me time. I thought to myself what a waste. I'm not the only one who spent countless hours trying to help people out with information.
    It would be great if you could recover some of valuable information from those busy years. Yes, this place has been kind of quiet. Use to be a lot more traffic. I know the other site gets a lot more "business". I'm a member on FBBO and that system seem relatively easy to work with. I'm not a member or visitor of FMJBO. Don't know why? I guess when I was on here on the old site, this was the only place I felt I needed to be. Lot of knowledgeable people to help and get help from I guess.

Anyway FBR good luck with your resurrection. Like you said it won't be easy.

Again Matt thanks for your diligence! Thanks for helping the up and coming members.
    1980 roadrunner

United States
    Thanks
    Good luck. It would be cool to get it all back.

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Little thanks would be due to me. I'm merely grateful for FBR's interest and abilities to bring what can be restored back to you all. I've just never had the talent to do it for you. The number of photos that can seemingly be restored easily is surely worth much in our collective history here and a great start. Everybody loves Eye Candy!
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Another item that could use some work is the payment link. I've tried many times over the years and failed each time.

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by doublechaz View Post
    Another item that could use some work is the payment link. I've tried many times over the years and failed each time.
    Maybe some day I will reconnect that. But now is still not the time to be acceptant of member's contributions. I am sorry. But I am not ungrateful for the offers.
    Volare Magnet

Advisor
    United States
    Thanks
    A bit of an update and Kent can you further articulate on some of the tech materials lost. Im finding the dealer brochures posted here an electrical manual in the files and am up to over 3k pics recovered. I also have a lot of content to add but the way things are looking for simplicity and getting the site to function like a well oiled machine thats also economically sustainable things might be better served with a bit different format and as I had posted the pictures could either be in a bulk album or sorted to types or builds.

So things are in motion to make AV a near effortless fun experience as some of these issues get ironed out behind the scenes. But things are not in limbo or standing idle.
    Like them spinnin' tires, do ya?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FBR For This Useful Post:

Stalkervette (6 Hours Ago)

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for your efforts!
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Owned since 1987, big block since 1989
    1996 Dakota Sport owned since 1998, 3.9L. Winter DD
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, bought 2017, summer only DD
    Let's go Brandon!

Advisor
    United States
    Thanks
    The difficult task of transference has begun.
    Like them spinnin' tires, do ya?

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm kinda liking the word "Transmogrification" here.
    Volare Magnet