Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1979 to 1976 Volare remake of my High School / 1st car

Aspen and Volare Member
    United States
    Thanks
    The left taillight bezel is going to be hard to find, I searched for weeks even months until I found the last one that Len Dawson had available. As soon as you find one, JUMP ON IT!!! as they are made from unobtainium. Very cool build.

Whats odd is that your passenger side mirror has kinda a flat spot on the body line, mine is the same but I thought that it may have been dented or hit, I don't know if it is a coincidence or are they really cast like that.

Aspen and Volare Junior Member volarerob's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    modelmakerinc

The left taillight bezel is going to be hard to find, I searched for weeks even months until I found the last one that Len Dawson had available. As soon as you find one, JUMP ON IT!!! as they are made from unobtainium. Very cool build.
    Hey look I found one!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0529Medium[1].jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	4562

Sorry I had to mess with you.... I bought a NOS set a number of years back that had both bezels and the center pan. I ran them on my black Volare and then pulled them off and put them in storage until now. but I do appreciate the heads up as I do have a very nice used "drivers" set (not perfect but not all pitted out) I might need to put up for sale if they are that hard to find.

Whats odd is that your passenger side mirror has kinda a flat spot on the body line, mine is the same but I thought that it may have been dented or hit, I don't know if it is a coincidence or are they really cast like that.
    honestly I never noticed that. I'll have to check it when I get home. This is the only other pic I have of the passenger side mirror on my work computer. I'm not sure what part you were talking about do you still see it in this pic?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	79 Volare 4.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	4563
    Last edited by volarerob; 06-30-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    If we're both talking about the same thing, both mirrors on my car have that spot that looks bent (painted mirrors but same castings as chrome I would imagine).

It's that spot about an inch or so back on the lower edge of the pedestal, correct?
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Member
    United States
    Thanks
    Here is my mirror, it looks like it got hit on the body line and flattened, but there is no scuffs or signs of the chrome getting fractured. So when I saw yours it kinda has that same appearance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170701_113812.jpg   20170701_113747.jpg  

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    looks dented to me

United States
    Thanks
    I have theory on the "bent" mirrors. As I said, both the left and right side mirror pedestal's on my car are "bent" exactly like that.

They're bent at the point where one of the mounting studs is. It's right on the edge of the piece. Either they came out that way after being cast or got that way later from the tension on the stud.

Pic of a spare chrome mirror and a pic of one on my car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0003 (1).jpg   DSCF0002 (1).jpg  
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Member
    United States
    Thanks
    Aspen 79, that is not what I am referring to, that looks like a casting issue with how the molds were made.
    I'm talking about what looks to be a flat area on the body of the mirror along the horizontal body line. Mine seems to be dented, but other pics kinda give the same appearance

Didnt mean to side track your thread. Back to Volare Rob's progress.
    Last edited by modelmakerinc; 07-02-2017 at 07:19 AM.

United States
    Thanks
    I can go out and look at my car. I`m sure mine doesn`t have that dent.

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by modelmakerinc View Post
    Aspen 79, that is not what I am referring to, that looks like a casting issue with how the molds were made.
    I'm talking about what looks to be a flat area on the body of the mirror along the horizontal body line. Mine seems to be dented, but other pics kinda give the same appearance

Didnt mean to side track your thread. Back to Volare Rob's progress.
    DOH! Got ya! I'll shut up now

United States
    Thanks
    Ok, I checked mine and I see the area you are talking about. It is a little odd. I put a straight edge on it. It does not have a gap as if it is dented. If yours has a gap then I would say yours is dented.