Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Seats and Carpet

Aspen and Volare Senior Member SpeedBanana1977's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

Replacing Seats and Carpet

I am just starting this 1979 Volare 2 dr project and would like to replace the seats (fronts are buckets) and the carpet. Any recommendations for aftermarket seats/carpet that would fit and are reasonably priced? Thanks for your help.

Aspen and Volare Administrator White Aspen R/T's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Carpet is available from ACC. or Auto Custom Carpets. Seat covers from Legendary Interiors.
    AspenandVolare Administrator

Aspen and Volare Senior Member bnichols's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    if going for the oem look then like eric said that's about the only choice, I am sure there is other stuff out there just depends how tacky you want it to look

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The carpets on ebay that are half price of going directly thru ACC, are ACC. Just make certain you're dealing with their ebay outlet before ordering. Parts store carpets and all other brands fit like crap. ACC only makes a good fitting replacement. For updated seating, look into every latemodel car you park next to and then also check ebay and local salvage yards. I measure the rear seat back height and width. You can weld new catches into a different seat with wire rod, and soak with water before the foam burns up. You can also wrap a close fitting but not quite foam and cover over your original frame with hog ring pliers. Most modern rear seat bases are too shallow, so you have to make adaptor hooks from rod and some sheet stock to raise into position. Then cover with a vinyl face panel that makes up the difference down to meet the carpet. It can be very attractive if you are patient and peristent in adding a matching rear seat for the late model front buckets you select. I have found attractive interiors for various cars from donors ranging from Mitsubishi, Volkswagen, and Jaguar, to domestics like Cadillac, Buick, and Lincoln. You can expect to spend $2-800 for new used seating depending on age and brand.
    Volare Magnet

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

dodcarl (03-25-2016)

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Early 00's Durango seating fits without alot of effort. The mini console looks like it belongs in a 4spd F-body too. SUV seats often need some work compressing the power mechanism to fit passenger cars, and F-body passenger side is always a headache.
    I was just looking at black leather with burnt orange stitching in a newer Ford Edge that I liked the other day. Those would need at least power mechanism work and headrests re-angled, because I don't bow my head for anybody. I don't care how nice Ford makes a seat I'm not a peasant who willingly bows my head to drive.
    Volare Magnet

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattle Trap For This Useful Post:

SpeedBanana1977 (01-01-2016), White Aspen R/T (01-01-2016)

United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm hoping for not too tacky, but also hoping not to spend too much. I also need complete seats; right now the car has seats taken from some other car. What about some of these seats I see on the various big retailers--anyone have experience with those?

Aspen and Volare Junior Member Dodge's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Is it a 4-speed car? If so I have a lighter blue carpet I got from acc,installed it then changed my mind, and went with black, would sell cheap

United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the offer; the blue would work, but unfortunately the car is an automatic.

United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the ideas--what is it about the F-body passenger side that makes it a headache?

Aspen and Volare Senior Member klb6469's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The raised floor under the pass side seat is to tuck the cat tighter to the floor for more ground clearance. That way the car would have greater leg room, front and rear.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to klb6469 For This Useful Post:

SpeedBanana1977 (01-05-2016)