Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 LastLast

Thread: Twin Turbo HEMI build

United States
    Thanks
    Incandescent bulbs seem to attract the most bugs. Florescent not as many. I have not checked the effects of a LED and bugs.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd say the same, not as many with my LED. I bet if I went to a more blue one it would help.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    It has something to do with the UV spectrum, I read that residential LED's are very low on spectrum compared to industrial LED's.

At my last house I had several lights including a post light on timers. With incandescent bulbs the bugs at night were so bad that if you were close to the lights they would get in your face/eyes. Once I switched everything over to LED it took it down to zero. This is awesome on the back porch when grilling at night. With the new house I did the same swap with identical results.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if it has something to do with heat also? LED's put out a ton less heat than regular bulbs.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Stalker, please do tell what temperature you are talking about, I'd gladly replace mine.

Yes, LED headlights/flashlights are literally invisible in my FLIR scope (no heat), but blinding to the naked eye. At least from 10s of yards away. My long hair cat looks like a floating face with it. But animals in general show up like a light in total darkness. I actually used it to find flaws in my house insulation and fix them. Every little flaw shows plain with the A/C on during the heat of the day. If my math is right I eliminated about 1500 watts of flaws so far.

United States
    Thanks
    DC - I was just out in the garage with the doors open and the lights on. Zero bugs. I used my laser heat gun on the lights and only the ceramic base emits any elevated temp.

The UV is of course ultra violet and the color range of UV can take you anywhere from an amber/yellow up to white/blue. At my old house I used the "yellow" LED bulbs in the post light and the garage carriage lights. No bugs. With the post light when I had a standard bulb I was continually cleaning bugs out of the housing. LED is the only way to go.

On a side note, I converted the last house 100% with LED and I could absolutely tell a difference with my electric bill. Off the top of my head I would say at least a 20% reduction.

United States
    Thanks
    Found this about UV and bugs. Most of the articles claim that LED simply have an absence of temperature, which is why bugs are not attracted. "Hot" industrial LED's have heat, but nothing like incandescent. Bottom line LED generate less heat, so fewer insect.

Off topic but have you ever seen a yellow car parked in the grass at a car show? Cars are usually cover in bugs....

No bug light actually repels bugs. Since many bugs navigate by light sources like the moon or sun, they’re attracted to light they can see. A bug light works by emitting light that is invisible to bugs and insects, or by being too dim for the bugs to notice the light. If no bugs come to hang out, the end effect is similar to a bug repellent. We have a much more in-depth write up on how bug lights work, but what’s important to remember is that most insects do not see light around the 650 nm (yellow) range. UV light and the infrared spectrum are used by insects for navigation and locating food. Since different insects see different wavelengths of light, and many insects are attracted to heat, bug lights are never 100% effective (the heat output of an incandescent bug light can attract insects), but they are very good at reducing the number of bugs by excluding the light used by the majority
    Last edited by Stalkervette; 08-09-2020 at 07:39 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    I keep looking at DCaspen's beautiful car. Has anyone attempted a 76-79 bumper on a 1980 Aspen or Volare? I wonder how the lines would flow? I was going to modify an early duster smoothed bumper, but this has me thinking....

I would paint it body color white.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bumper.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	6406

United States
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duster bumper.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	6407

I would weld the bolt holes and make a mounting bracket.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Wish I would have had my bolt holes and jack slots welded before replating. The bumper bolts don't attach to anything, they just fill the holes. The front inner bumper braces were missing when I bought the car 33 years ago and on the rear, the inner brace was rusted away so it doesn't exist now either. Would have made for a cleaner look but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh well, too late now!

DCAspen's car
    Last edited by aspen79; 08-09-2020 at 08:36 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver