Page 77 of 79 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 LastLast

Thread: The Aspen and Volare Weather Channel

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    We'd also just gotten rid of the yucky in time for more... YUCK! 2" of icing rain with snow on top early Thurs morning for us to chisel our cars out. My one buddy said screw it and used a crowbar to pry his door open! :O Another made a cool video after his driver window actually went down, of punching the solid sheet of ice away. It came in intermittent waves of the upper layers being ice and snow over the thick ice base. Nobody could see out their rear windows because we all thought the defrosters would get them, but they only melted the thick bottom layer and left and equally thick skin over it. Of course it all melted by yesterday afternoon in time for the next wave. At lunch I went out and just shoved the inch of remaining ice off the top surfaces of my car. Less ice and more snow came just in time for the drive home yesterday. Only about 2+" here overnight. But I hear Detroit and Cleveland are getting triple and more on both sides of us while it mostly passes across the lake and we only get side swiped.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Just rain here for the past couple days. Much better then snow.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    It's always amazing when all the snow and ice is gone off pavement, including driveways and parking lots how easy it is to walk. No more tiny, stiff kneed steps (like a penguin) so you don't end up on your backside. Worse is when the packed snow/ice is uneven and lumpy. A 50 foot walk makes your legs feel like you just ran a marathon. My absolute favorite is the glare ice that you can't see when a fresh coating of snow covers it. Walking along and all of a sudden, you're on the ground. Of course it ONLY happens when someone is looking
    At least this time, the snow will be on the weekend so it can be cleared in daylight. If it snows the night before or during the day M-F, it has to wait until getting home from work. Then, not only is it colder and where the plow left a snowbank more solid, it's dark and you're beat from working all day. Today I'm just beat from being sicker than a dog and so, am not at work today. Honestly, I'd rather be at work than feeling the way I feel right now.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Just wondering, did you get a flu shot? I usually don`t get them but I did this year I did due to my surgery and it was recommended .

United States
    Thanks
    I usually do but this year I never got around to it. Basically,,,,,,,I forgot. The flu I have (I assume it's flu, headache, rolling gut, weakness, tiredness, etc) isn't the one the shot is for anyways. It started Wednesday and I stayed home, went to work yesterday and made it until noon and then no choice but to come back home and today (home from work again) it was worse this morning. Seems to be easing up and now I feel hungry. Not going to push my luck though and chow down just yet! Put it this way, I left the light on and the seat up last night and I'll leave it at that.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't gotten the shot in almost 20 years. I'd rather get sick and build natural immunity, if I'd ever get sick. I figure my system must be fighting it just fine since I don't. But a shot is like taking cocaine, and what that does to your body. Your own system gives up because the drug is so much better than what it's capable of doing on it's own. After a while your body is no longer capable of functioning correctly on it's own. Devastating. Not to mention that the flu vaccine is rarely for the actual strain going around that year. Just the one they thought would. So it's of no use to the actual virus and only damaging to your own immune system. This year is especially bad, because there's two different strains going around. And you guessed it, the shot isn't going to help with either one. NOPE I don't do Drugs. Not even ones they give out free or prescribe as if a placebo effect will help. Even for pain, I'd rather make it my B*tch than be effected by drugs making me unaware of damaging myself further by my own actions. Excepting some of the pain you guys have been through of course. I wouldn't wish that on anybody but am sure glad you've made it out the other side.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Senior Member 7T8 Custom's Avatar
    Canada
    Thanks
    Rain here again and today is the 29th day in a row we have had rain or snow.

United States
    Thanks
    OK, jokes over, very funny! Started snowing about 9am and it's been collecting over an inch per hour so far. Probably 5" deep now. There is hope, looks like it's let up quite a bit the last little bit. There's zero wind though and it's TOO cold (low 20's) and it's fluffy snow so, shouldn't be that bad clearing it later on.

As always, when it snows like this, traffic is much lighter than normal on the freeway, and going much slower than normal. Combined with the fresh snow, it's SO quiet outside and is it ever nice. Only reminds me I wish I could afford to move somewhere not so friggin' close to an 8 lane freeway and the 2nd busiest interchange in the entire metro area. If I'd only have known 22 years ago when I bought this house, what it would be like now, I'd have kept looking. Seriously. LOL, probably should have put that in the "Rants and Raves" section.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Here is the joke Aspen79 - I got hit with 6+ inches of snow yesterday. I think it is payback for me being so mean to Rattle

What is really kicking our butts is all the rain!!!!!!!!

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 77rr2x4s View Post
    Just wondering, did you get a flu shot? I usually don`t get them but I did this year I did due to my surgery and it was recommended .
    I get the flu and pneumonia shot from the VA. Knock on wood I've dodged the bug so far, looks like being a hermit bubble boy helps

People around here are dropping like flies with the flu bug, so I'm almost neurotic about using purell and wiping the handle on shopping carts when I go out.