Page 75 of 79 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast

Thread: The Aspen and Volare Weather Channel

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    They seem to get the temperatures correct around here but the wet stuff always seems wrong. I do believe they hype it up just so you tune in every day.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    It's annoying to live between two metro areas. If it weren't for rabbit ears we can't even get Toledo channels here because of that whole barely closer to Cleveland thing putting them on the cable too. Not that we have that, and partly because of that. Toledo knows if the weather will come across the plain from Ft. Wayne, if it's coming up from Indy, or down from Detroit. But Cleveland has the Lake Erie eastern basin with the Cuyahoga River valley right ahead of the Appalachian foothills and there is just no way to predict exactly how the wind speed direction and barometer will cause it to play out. The only thing for sure is that whatever it does, has absolutely no bearing on what will happen an hour to their west.
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    We've got 3 channels here (ABC, CBS, FOX) and the studios are all 3 or 4 miles from my house on the other side of the river. I can see the broadcast tower from my house, it's on top of Rib Mt which my house is just on the east side of the freeway from the base of it. No problem with reception, lol. NBC is 80 miles north but they have a tower a couple miles south of me on top of Mosinee Hill (which I can also see) and broadcast with a different channel number. It's always weird weather in the Rib Mt area I live in. It's almost like Rib Mt and Mosinee Hill (a really BIG hill) plus another one I don't know the name of, creates a venturi and it's more often than not, windy here. It can be howling at my house, drive a couple miles in any direction it might be dead calm. Or,,,you can see the black storm clouds coming from the west and get set for the shmitt to hit the fan and a couple miles away, it'll split and go north and south, then come back together across the river. There's have been times where at my Dad's house over in Weston there's a severe storm, heavy rain, high winds, thunder, lightning, trees down, etc and at my house 6 miles away,,,,,,,,,,,clear sunny skies. My point is, I know it's hard for the meteorologists to know exactly what will happen and where, an hour in advance, not to mention a week from now.
    All I know is now, it's still snowing and I really wish it would give it a rest.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Still snowing..............Well OK, it's not really snow but it's not rain either. Kind of a combination of the two.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    51 here today. It actually feels almost warm. Almost time to

United States
    Thanks
    Almost time to

Man, do I wish! Could be just a tad while longer though. Just saying...............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00389.jpg   DSC00387.jpg  

United States
    Thanks
    Well, we just ended day 18 of only overcast skies, no sunshine at all. At first they said we MIGHT see some on Sunday but now they backed off on that because it's supposed to be in the mid 40's, and with all the snow on the ground, there's going to be thick fog. I've almost forgotten what the sun looks like.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I grew up in Michigan. One day around this time of year I looked up through the thick overcast and for just an instant I though, "Oh, look, a full sun." That's when I decided to move somewhere with more than 30 days of sunshine per year. Now I have enough sun experience to know the sun is always round unlike the moon.

United States
    Thanks
    Honestly if I was a younger man and in better shape physically I would have searched for a more southern state to live in and to avoid some of colder weather. IMO, life is too short to spend 1/3 of the year being miserable and unhappy with the cold weather situation that confronts some people up north. Especially if you are a car person. I had a chance to move to Florida with work but it was just too hot and humid for me. Life got in the way and I/we never made the move and now I feel there isn`t any point in uprooting everything now. For the people that are able to then I support the change. BTW, I don`t nearly get the snow fall that others up north have to face.
    Last edited by 77rr2x4s; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:21 AM.

United States
    Thanks
    I may complain about the winter weather around here but can't imagine living anywhere else, as odd as that sounds. I've lived here since 1976 and more than likely, this is where I will die (hopefully not for a while yet!).

A guy I work with said his wife wants to move to Florida when they both retire. They go there every year on vacation,,,,,,,,,,in February, and she loves the weather there. I asked if she'd ever been to Florida in the summer and the answer was "no". I told him he should send her down there in July or August and then see if she still wants to move there! I'm thinking she would change her mind real quick, lol. Last time I was there (Sarasota), it was the end of September and it was so hot and humid it was ridiculous. The guy at the car rental place told me "it's cooled down a lot since August". Seriously? This is cooled down? With 90 degrees at 90% humidity, you literally couldn't stand to be outside with no shade from about 10am to 4pm. Even in the shade, if you just sat there totally still, the sweat was just pouring. It was so humid, the A/C in my brand new rental car didn't have a chance. Looked like a water faucet running under the car and the air from the vents, while cooler than outside, still felt warm. Move to Florida? No freaking way, lol! Can't forget the hurricane's and countries worst drivers too, not to mention all the "Florida Man" stories you hear on the radio in the morning and the stupid things they did. The other coast is not an option either, for many, MANY reasons not related to weather. You know what I mean

Would be nice to see some sunshine but, overcast is typical this time of year. I guess a plus side to it, it doesn't get real cold at night that way.
    Last edited by aspen79; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:40 AM.