Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3979878889

Thread: The Aspen and Volare Weather Channel

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    A Friend of mine has an old military weather station that includes snow depth. The sensor is mounted up high pointed at the ground and after calibration it uses ultrasound to measure the snow depth. There are probably other ways as well.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Man I was in for a real treat once I got out there away from the sheltered sides of the house where the door is and where it goes to for the dogs to do their business. It was all between 16-32 in the wide open spaces, like both driveways. One was 80 ft to clear the car out, and the other double that with the large turn around and multiple vehicle parking area. I'm not even in the mood to try getting the rest of the way from the 80ft mark to the garage on the short side tho. It went from maybe 20" to a good 40", for the next 35ft and that's all got to come back out to at least the 25ft mark cuz there's nowhere to put it anywhere near the garage.

My smart aleck daughter asked how it is we can have so many cars and not a snow blower? Sigh. I told her I'd get one when they all grew up and moved away cuz I'd be too old for this crap on my own, DESPITE that I out shovel them a good 8 to 1, after the first hour where it's maybe 3/1. They need the exercise. Who's guna give it to them if the ole man doesn't put em to work?
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Think about it, a snowblower will give you more time to do other stuff and save your back to boot. Snow sucks BTW.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    You know when it's been REALLY cold for a REALLY long time when a double digit temp doesn't feel too bad. Right now (8pm) it's 10 degrees and I was just outside for a bit and wasn't cold. Probably helps a ton not having any wind either, zero mph. Even earlier today it was only 15 for a high but the sun was shining bright and with maybe a 2 mph breeze it almost felt warm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,almost, lol. Most important, where the sun does hit pavement, the ice is starting to finally melt away. My driveway looked like it had 20 coats of hand rubbed clear coat a couple days ago. Now it's only about half clear coated. Unfortunately, where the sun doesn't hit (like my back drive) it's still a sheet of ice. Worse is, the back drive and walkway is on a slope. BE CAREFUL!

Still can't wait for those 30's next week that they promised. Come on 30's!
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    I was sweating like a pig out there yesterday throwing off layers til I only had my t-shirt with a sweatshirt over it in the high teens. Moving everything back wider for today's snow that we've gotten a couple inches of so far since around 6am. Slow and steady fluff in a 15 mph breeze and today's low twenties won't be so "hot" since the sun is obscured today. At least this current storm has covered our ice from the last one and made it less treacherous.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Had some warmth yesterday. Then a little Rain this morning. So now we have a foot of Heavy snow surrounding MUD. Awesome...
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Snowing and raining off and on. Gutters are frozen so hopefully I won`t have a issue with ice dams. I had that issue in another house and if flooded the walls in the family room.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I get ice dams every winter, sometimes 8-10" thick at the edge of the roof, like last winter. Everytime that happens, I praise the person that invented the ice and water shield (a.k.a "human flypaper") roof underlayment. No leaks at all. I try to keep the first 2 or 3 feet of the roof cleared using my snow rake but last winter there was so much snow and it was so cold, it got away from me.

Woo-hoo! Above freezing today for the first time in I don't remember. According to the forecast, highs for the next 10 days are mid to high 30's(!!!!!!) Amazing how everyone's mood suddenly improves

Pic from January 2019:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ice dams.JPG  
    Last edited by aspen79; 1 Week Ago at 07:04 PM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver