Page 98 of 101 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast

Thread: The Aspen and Volare Weather Channel

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The ground where my house is, is varied. There's MAYBE a couple inches of actual dirt, then it turns to sand, followed by gravel size rocks, then bigger rocks. Once you dig down 3 feet it's REALLY big rocks and another foot or so (at least in my yard) you basically hit a floor. To go any further would require blasting. That's why very few houses in this part of Rib Mt. have a basement. Costs too darn much. My house has a foundation that is only 12-18" deep (48" is code to get below the frost line) but, it's still level after 75 years and the drywall doesn't crack so it's all good. The real problem is trying to grow a nice lawn in that "soil". About impossible.

We keep getting hot and humid one day, and cold and raw the next, then really nice and dry the day after that. A few days ago it was not warm at all and I finally gave in and turned the furnace on. The very next day all the windows open and if I had A/C in the house, it would have been running. Up and down, up and down. Or, a day like today. This morning it was in the 80's and muggy as all heck. Then it dropped to 70's and dry in the early afternoon, followed by light rain and now it's nipply out (low 60's) but dry. The human body isn't made to adjust to swings like that.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

United States
    Thanks
    Speaking of rain.......................It started raining Saturday about 9am and hasn't stopped since. It's been what I'd call gentle rain, then moderate rain, heavy rain which becomes a deluge, back to heavy, moderate and gentle. Lather, rinse, repeat over and over. Looks like it's going to continue like that all day today, also. This afternoon it's forecast to get worse with thunderstorms, possibly severe. Next week, rain predicted everyday until Thursday. Sigh..........................
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    This past Wednesday we had a big rain storm about noon for about half an hour and amounted to 1/2". Then,,,,,,,,,,,,,around 3pm, it got darker and darker, the sirens started sounding and all hell broke loose. It rained harder than I thought was even possible. Shortly after it started, the wind came in and all that rain was going exactly sideways. Then we hear there are 2 tornadoes in the Mosinee area (where the shop is). It rained like that for another 1/2 hour and it dropped a little over 4" of rain in that amount of time. Can you say flash floods? Afterwards,,,,,,,,,,what a mess. There was so much rain it washed rocks down the hill a block over. Not small rocks but 8-10" jagged angular rocks that are used for erosion control at a culvert outlet about 100 yards up the hill. Hwy 153, which is downhill 4 lane road, with the terrain and side streets going downhill towards 153 (steep hills) was so bad you could have white water rafted down it (from the videos I saw). At the "T" intersection at the bottom of the slope, it looked like a raging river for quite a while after the rain stopped. We could see it from the edge of our lot. They had to use front end loaders to remove the mud, rocks, straw, branches and other misc debris. Heard they filled a dozen dump trucks with the stuff.

However, today was 74 degrees, mostly sunny, very low humidity, light breeze,,,,,,,,,,,,,absolutely beautiful!
    Last edited by aspen79; 08-13-2021 at 05:23 PM.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Got nearly 2" in 15 minutes this morning at work. Storm drains overcome, popping manhole covers and shooting geysers. Roof leaks everywhere. They kept us sitting there for six hours to get a little more out of us at the end.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    We're predicted to get a crap load of rain starting tomorrow afternoon through Friday, I only hope it holds off tomorrow until we're done at the cemetery for my dad's burial, which is at 1:30pm. The predicted total for both days is 3"-5". Son of a............ Wouldn't sound that bad if it was winter and the forecast was for 3-5" but this is rain. DANG! Really glad my dormer roof is finally replaced. The old one didn't leak (somehow) but anytime it rained hard, especially with high winds like they're also predicting, I got worried.

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    We have buried many family members over the past decade. Seems about half the time in the rain. I choose to think of it as our bodies being washed clean as a clear path upward is given to the heavenly bodies of our decedents unencumbered by physics ascend their path better guided. Some may have needed it. Others it seemed the rain was only for our benefit of being washed over.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    When we buried my mother in April 2009, the weather was cold (40's), rainy and crappy until,,,,,the day of the funeral. Beautiful sunny day, light breeze, 75 degrees and then the very next day it got cold and snowed. I figure it was because of her always sunny disposition we were given that nice day. If it follows, today should be the same for my dad. So far, it's clear and sunny so,,,,,,hope it holds.

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Rainy season swooped in on us late Friday night. I made a fire out in the garden while my wife and I listened to our local football game on the radio and I didn't even bother to put it out with the water buckets I'd hauled out when the drops forced us indoors right as the game was about to conclude.

Dangit. I knew I should have mowed Friday. But really wasn't feeling that hour and a half riding around smelling the repulsive freshly cut grass through my still Covid long hauling nose that day. I thought Mother Nature would hold off even though we hadn't seen temps in the 70's most of the week. With the rains and cool temps and no sign of them abating until at least some time Wednesday this week the house got down to 64* and I finally broke down and fired the boiler up for the season yesterday.

We didn't even break into the 60's today. At least not where I'm at. I expect they did up over the ridge and possibly down by the water where that holds sway on temp fluctuations. But here in between them, it's always cooler. Well I don't know how Cool that is. Let's just go with it being colder here.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Seems our run of nice warm weather has come to an end. By nice, I mean relatively speaking for the time of year that it is. It's actually been fairly warm this fall. Of course, it's been gradually getting cooler, as you'd expect. Yesterday was calm, sunny and about 58 for a high. Was cold in the shade but felt great in the sun, especially with zero wind. Today, overcast, gloomy, cold and windy (10-25 mph out of the NW). It's a whole 44 degrees out right now. It really feels like the season changed overnight and I don't like it!

Guess I picked the right day to switch the Mustang for the Dakota and put Stabil in the gas of the Aspen (and Mustang, and lawn mower), and make sure the s***blower starts up and is good to go, when the time comes, because it would have sucked doing it today. That s*** can takes it's sweet time coming though, won't hurt my feelings any. Couldn't bring myself to type the "s" word yet, so I censored it, lol.

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    We have actually had a gradual change from 110 down with more than *three* days of 70 on the way to 30. I have really appreciated it. I only remember one other year like this in the last 20 around here.