Page 92 of 95 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast

Thread: The Aspen and Volare Weather Channel

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, that stupid wind! It doesn't know when it's time to quit does it? Only 50's here today but at least it's sunny and not raining,,,,,,,,,,,for once. Supposes to have upper 70's tomorrow but then only 50's again on Sunday. You see, Wisconsin weather is as fickle as Ohio weather.

Just finished mowing my lawn for the 1st time this season. Kind of the same boat as you 77. The "soil" is mostly sand and rocks and I gave up on having a really nice lawn years ago. It just isn't possible. Is suppose if you dug the whole works out a foot down and brought in 100's of yards of top soil but that's not going to happen. I've got sort of a dirt like substance about 2-3" thick, then sand, and as you dig down you run into gravel , then pebbles, then stones, then rocks, followed by ROCKS (i.e. boulders) and in some parts if you go around 3-4 feet down. you run into a floor of solid granite basically. Big reason very few houses in this part of Rib Mt. have basements. Too darn expensive to do. Involves blasting and that can get to be VERY expensive. Probably the reason my house is slab on grade with a 12-18" deep rock foundation yet, it's perfectly level yet, drywall never cracks. Code requires 48" for foundations, deck posts, etc,. to stay below the frost line. They make exceptions in this area. If it's on solid rock, where's it going to go? lol Of course there's still the matter of the mysterious sinking backyard and the 4" diameter hole that has no bottom...........A piece of rope with a nut tied to it, 30 feet long and it never hit bottom. That one needs to be investigated yet. Kind of scary.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Um. IP security camera on a long ethernet wire? I would need to know where that hole goes if it was in my yard. Mostly I would need to know if the house was going to go down into it.

United States
    Thanks
    The hole and sinking yard are a good 50 feet at least from any building. It's all granite here (no limestone) so I'm not TOO concerned but there must be a cavern or something down there. Some students from a college geology class were going to come and use a camera and other equipment to find out what's what last summer but the whole shamdemic thing got that cancelled. I'll have to call and see if they still plan on doing the field trip this year. I'm curious. Who knows what's down there. My backyard was convex when I bought this place in '97, now it's concave, and a row of trees that was once straight, is now an arc. Maybe it's alien's LOL.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'd be figuring that one out for myself. Just because I'd want credit for finding anything that might turn my back yard into a retirement income if there's some sort of crystal cavern below. Sounds like it's sucked tons of soil into the hole already. I'd want to find where it's dropping in and get it stabilized. If it's moving trees it's bigger than you think and that little hole 50 ft away may be on the near edge of where a big block Aspen has been shaking what's solid below. Cracking the nearest spot where it goes hollow. A nut on a string could just allow the string to coil up. But I'd already have a camera in there. If there's nothing interesting to find below, it could still become a root cellar or something. Fallout shelter? But if you have a giant underground bubble cavity in igneous rock that would be super cool no matter what! I wouldn't want it to keep filling itself in, I'd want to be able to use it! For all you know, there might be a gold vein in that granite down there. Wouldn't want to be sharing that with some school geology team. I'd be wanting that for myself too. I'd be wanting to know that I'd better file for the mineral rights to my underground and the whole surrounding area before some punk college kid did cuz he got first look at it. Lot's of things to think about with a situation like that. Get to investigating it!

Oh, we had a high that finally got up to 55 yesterday. Your wind moved over here in the early afternoon then the sun came out. Clear skies meant a light frost last night. Sunny but chilly out there right now.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I'm fairly sure it'll turn out to just be a big cave or something similar. I had a 3/4" thread nut tied to rope so it would have been obvious if it hit bottom. Rope never went slack or light. You're right though, I HAVE to find out WTF!

Suppose to get close to 80 today, they claim. If so, it better get it's ass in gear. Right now (10am) it's only 52 and I don't see much sun at all. Was up to a gas station earlier this morning and the wind, holy crap. Was wishing I'd have worn a heavier coat and also a hat. Kind of wind that almost knocks you over when it gusts and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,COLD.

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    An underground home maintains a steady temp year round and would require minimal heating added. In the summer you'd just turn the fans on to bring surface air down til you were comfortable.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattle Trap View Post
    An underground home maintains a steady temp year round and would require minimal heating added. In the summer you'd just turn the fans on to bring surface air down til you were comfortable.
    LOL!

The weather redeemed itself. About 10am the clouds vanished and the sun did it's job. Hit the mid 80's(!) and the wind went away late afternoon. This evening it couldn't be more perfect. Right now (7:30pm) it's 84 degrees, wind speed of zero and the best part, humidity is only 14%. Why can't it be like this all the time? Yes, I took advantage and put about 15 or so miles on the Aspen. Too bad it all has to end tomorrow

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yeah ya freakin bum...
    You sent it straight to ME again! How does your weather keep turning into mine so quickly?

I've got dark clouds and the wind chimes that are big enough for spring weather are going nuts out there, as I've finally made my way back up to the house.

Guess I need to post why I wasn't in here listening to them all day on another thread tho. Keep all the topics Fresh.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    Well, if tradition continues, our weather from yesterday should roll through Ohio today or tomorrow. If it does, take advantage because it was absolutely BEAUITIFUL. Honestly I don't think it could have gotten any more perfect, and on a Saturday no less!

Aspen and Volare Super Member Mopars1's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Cut my grass this morning. Good that I did. Rain all afternoon even though not hard it is still wet!
    1977 Dodge Aspen R/T Super Pak T-Tops
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Quad Cab 4WD
    2016 Dodge Dart GT Sport
    2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack