Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ... 478795969798 LastLast

Thread: The Aspen and Volare Weather Channel

United States
    Thanks
    Hot and Humid. Of course this is normal for this time of year around this area.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    That's the thing, it normally isn't real humid here so when it gets high, it's VERY noticeable. If the Canadian's would keep their forest fire smoke to themselves, it would be a bright clear day today, instead of hazy and smoky and eye burning (and it smells too). Does make for different looking sunrise and sunsets though, with the sun looking like a round red orb in the sky.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The sun is very hazy when setting in the west here too. You wouldn't think there'd be so much interference with as far south as the sun is in it's perspective compared to those western fires. But it is strange looking. Can't complain about the weather myself. Still had 96 at 7pm the other night as I was working and soaked in sweat from head to toe. But it's only been around 80 for the past couple days with the night time back in the low 60's to make sleep comfortable. Good thing too because everything I own has suddenly decided to be some sort of mechanical @hole and there's lot's to do.
    Volare Magnet

United States
    Thanks
    I think we're getting a double whammy. Smoke from Canada and smoke from the western U.S. that about blots the sun out sometimes. Today is an example of that. Technically it's clear with no clouds but the sky is gray, like a light overcast. The sun is more of a yellow circle. My eyes are burning, cough, cough, cough, and it smells like a campfire outside. A couple days ago it was in the 70's at sunrise but now the humidity dropped and last couple mornings it felt downright cold. Friday morning was 51 degrees. Just as warm in the afternoon but an hour after sunset you're closing all the windows in the house.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Our fires in AZ are less than some of the other locations, but before our monsoon season started the campfire smell, cough, and not being able to drive to clients due to road closures and evacuations was pretty troublesome. We had a couple weeks of lightning damage every day. Seems like things have calmed down now to just lots (for us) of rain. We've had almost 11 total inches this year.

United States
    Thanks
    LOL, felt like we got 11" Wednesday night! Around 8pm the wind kicked up to around 50, gusting to 70+ mph at my house (TV reported as high as 90 mph) for a good 15 minutes but no rain. Then the rain came (and came, and came) about 9pm. Wind, lightning, thunder that shakes the ground and rain harder than I've seen in a while for almost an hour straight. According to my neighbors rain gauge, it dropped almost 3 1/2". "Funny" part is, the storm just skirted my area. The north side of the city, only 6 or 7 miles away, got hit even harder and a few miles north of that there were a couple tornados. Guess in the this county they had 21,000 customers without power, some it took until Thursday afternoon to restore. Farther north in the next county, they got slammed hard and had a few thousand without power BUT that entire county population is about 25,000, where Marathon County (where I'm at) is about 140,000 so it's apples to oranges for numbers. As a contrast, one of the guys at work lives around 20 miles west and he got maybe 1/4" of rain, hardly any wind or lightning.. A my house, looked like Niagra Falls running off the roof, and could see (barely) headlights on the freeway but,,,,,,,,,,,,,they weren't moving. Even if you could have seen, brand new tires would have hydroplaned at 10 mph. DANG it rained hard.

Of course today, the rain is out to get me. Earlier in the day I was heading out to mow the back yard and, BOOM, CRASH, BOOM,,,,,,,,,,,20 minute downpour. OK fine, maybe later then. The grass dried up enough to try again in 3 or 4 hours. No more opened the door on the shed and, you guessed it, started to rain again, which became another downpour. Try a third time tomorrow morning, I hope.
    Last edited by aspen79; 07-31-2021 at 05:59 PM.

United States
    Thanks
    I've never been able to figure out how we have so little rain in inches yet there are serious flash floods all the time. They finally found the bodies from both incidents where people were washed away last week in our "Tri-City" area. I don't care how shallow you think it is, don't drive through a raging wash. I don't know what happened to the business that had their roof lifted off and dropped across the road. Most likely not a tornado since the mountains tend to break up the kind of airflow needed to make them, but still can get pretty bad. I suppose they lost all their inventory and are closed until the insurance company gets done jerking them around.

United States
    Thanks
    With lack of rain and the blazing sun/high temps, doesn't the ground become solid, almost like pavement so the rain runs away instead of soaking in out there? Also depends on if and where any mountains are for the water to come gushing down from.

We've got lots of sand and rocks so even in heavy rain, a lot of it soaks in before it can run off. Even when there is a flash flood, it doesn't last long.

No rain today though! Just hazy grey sky and a level 3 air quality alert for particulate caused by the western and Canadian fires. It's pretty bad. Still smells like a giant campfire outside and if I could get this battery acid out of my eyes, itch out of my nose and tickle out of my throat, it'd be a happy day.
    Last edited by aspen79; 08-03-2021 at 10:43 AM.

United States
    Thanks
    Some areas are just solid rock, some are flood plain silt, most is just sand and clay that bakes into cement. The trouble with our rain is that we get 1 or 2 inches in 10 minutes a few times in the summer or else we get .01 inches. Mostly we just get nothing. But when it opens up it is a problem. We had a foot of water all through my neighborhood a few years ago. Many houses were badly damaged. It was less than an inch from the wood at my house (slab on grade). Then it was all gone in a couple hours. Turns out mine is the highest house for several hundred yards in any direction. Another time we had more than 6 inches of mounded up hail when I got home from work. Thankfully marble and smaller so only asphalt shingle roofs were damaged. Then we get the 2 foot blizzards a few times each winter. No problem there, it's all melted off in a few days. I don't even shovel it.

Aspen and Volare Administrator Rattle Trap's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    LOL!
    Massive amounts of Hail and Meh... Or TWO FEET of SNOW and let's just not bother with it. That must be NIIIICE! Here that crap means I spend half the day getting 150 feet to the road, but only if it's not so much more that they aren't going to bother with this road til later in the day. But it's a really bad day if they don't bother with my road due to emergency services.

I've read about your terrain although never experiencing it. How digging any hole would require a good soak to soften the concreted sand and clay. We dig holes around here and that just seems unusual yet so very interesting. How the combination of geography, earth, and elevation combine to create particular situations in other places globally just kind of grabs my attention for some reason. It's funny because my mom always told me that if I didn't study I'd be digging the ditches instead of designing the roads. But here I am building the trucks that travel them instead. For sure any hard surface is dangerous with flowing water. Especially if it has slope induced speed. I've watched many videos on your washes and arroyo's and find how your ecosystem works so interesting.

We're simply experiencing a typical 80's summer here. Mid 50's at night and low 80's during the day. Going to get hot next week. Only 90's, but with mask mandates being reinstated to placate stupid panicky animals with voices and useless opinions generated by mass media not grounded in easily researched facts, it's going to Suck. Whatever. Everything in life flows, ebbs, then flows some more. I've been rolling with it this long. But really getting the feeling a divorce is imminent. Not from the woman I love or the weather. But that whole ebb and flow thing becoming so radical, even if regularly scheduled. I mean, I don't mind 30 degrees temperature change throughout the day. It's an even greater swing in the more temperate climates like the American Southwest so really I'm pretty lucky in that respect. But other stuff is really just getting out of hand and I'd much rather only be concerned with whether the high will be 82 or 98 today and if I get to wear a sweatshirt to work til lunchtime.
    Volare Magnet