Page 42 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: The Aspen and Volare Weather Channel

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I remember that cold spell. I was going to school in Michigan at the time. I got icecream at the Union one day and walked it across campus to the dorm. I had to let it stand for 45 minutes before it was thawed enough to eat.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I hope we NEVER get anything like that again. So cold it wasn't even funny. I think that was the year, up in Alaska, where they had the same cold stretch except it was something like -80 for days on end,,,,,,,,,,,,without the windchill factor. Dang, I can't even imagine cold like that.

I was working at the Ford dealer then and our tow truck never got shut off. Bring one in, unload, head out for the next. That was back when they didn't quite have electronic fuel injection perfected and the things would flood soon as you turned the key. At -25 or -30, once it's flooded,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you're screwed. Push them in the shop, change plugs and oil, and also the battery if it tested weak, drive them outside and let run, call customer their car is done and it's nice and warm. Quite a few were towed in due to poor maintenance. Worn spark plugs and gasoline contaminated oil from not changing it enough in the winter, along with weak batteries. Great for business but it sucked for the humans so bad.
    Last edited by aspen79; 01-08-2017 at 08:39 AM.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Administrator White Aspen R/T's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    18 years ago when I worked for Honeywell they sent me to Minnesota in January for 6 weeks of sshool. For two days it got down to -17 with a -70 below zero wind chill factor. I didn't go out of the hotel those two days because you would get instant frost burn on any exposed skin. That why they all had engine block heater for their vehicles.
    AspenandVolare Administrator

United States
    Thanks
    Only problem with a block heater is if there's no place to plug it in. What I mean is, if your car is parked outdoors at night at home, no problem. Drive to work and park in the lot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh crap! Engine management and engines in general have evolved in the past 20 years to a point where about the only reason a GAS powered vehicle won't start in extreme cold (unless that cold is like -40 or something but then you shouldn't go out in the first place, right?) is you have a battery that should have been replaced months ago already. Most diesels built in the past few years start fine also without a block heater,,,,,,,,,,to a point that is. In other words, unless a vehicle is very poorly maintained, they do fine without heaters. That said, it is nice for the humans that get in the ice cold car having instant heat!

We're up to a sunny -7 so far and thankfully,,,no wind. Supposed to hit +11 for a high so it better get it's act together pretty darn quick. LOL, something wrong about wishing for the 11 degree high like it's warm.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty

United States
    Thanks
    Here I thought we might be past the really cold arctic stuff for the year. How wrong I was. Had a high of +6 today with -25 to -40 windchill. With the clear sky and blinding sunshine, it looked nice out. It wasn't. Not even close. Sigh................................

I can't wait for green grass, trees with leaves, singing birds, 75 degrees with a light breeze,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhh. Never going to make it. Might end up running amok, lol.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    You re making the 20's here sound like a heat wave

United States
    Thanks
    20's WOULD feel like a heat wave

Didn't improve much today temp wise but the wind wasn't quite as strong. Windchills were "only" -15 to -25 all freaking day......... Grumble, complain, frown, gripe.

United States
    Thanks
    30`s here today, low 20`s tonight

Aspen and Volare Senior Member F body deconstructor Jim's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    70's here all week....might be 80 next week...just sayin'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	man_with_hands_over_mouth.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	146.5 KB