Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voltmeter conversion

Aspen and Volare Senior Member Rory's Avatar
    Great Britain
    Thanks

Voltmeter conversion

Has anybody successfully converted the stock ammeter into a voltmeter?
    The ammeter on my Aspen has been disabled, which is certainly a good thing but instead of fitting yet another gauge I'm thinking of putting it to use as a voltmeter when swapping in the cop car instrument cluster from my old Volare.

Aspen and Volare Senior Member klb6469's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Didn't know that a volt meter was offered as part of the cop package back then.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not quite sure how it's done. I do know there are companies that do the conversions. The ammeters on F body aren't as bad as the earlier cars as far as fire danger or sudden shut down of the electrical system. The earlier cars were direct wired so all the current, except the starter load, went through the gauge. Later cars, like '76 and up I believe, have a shunt so most of the current bypasses the gauge. Still, the amp gauge is about useless as a system monitor.

I've seen ones that were converted but still had the stock gauge backing so the voltage is a guess. Then some have markings and numbers for actual volts.

I see Redline Gauge (among others) does this. Sounds like the average cost with a voltage scale backing is $160-$175 +S&H. Looks like they use a VDO voltage gauge and put the "guts" into the stock cluster using the stock needle and then an applique to change the amp scale to volts. The sticking point to doing it yourself would be, no pun intended, the pointer.
    Last edited by aspen79; 03-27-2016 at 07:43 AM.

Aspen and Volare Administrator White Aspen R/T's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Even if you do that you will need to bolt both of the wires together to complete the battery/alternator circuit.
    AspenandVolare Administrator

Great Britain
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klb6469 View Post
    Didn't know that a volt meter was offered as part of the cop package back then.
    Err no, that's why I need to convert the ammeter.

I've heard about Redline Gauges but their prices seem a bit steep. No information whatsoever on the website, which puts me off too. The idea is: buy and gut a voltmeter, design and print a custom dial face and install on car.

Like on this Belvedere:

http://s23.postimg.org/99x15m6jv/image.png

http://s23.postimg.org/9jzyb7vsb/image.png

Aspen and Volare Member Badvert65's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The gauge itself cannot be converted. You will need to replace the 'guts' if you want a voltmeter. I am unaware of Mopars having a factory volt gauge prior to the 90's so your best bet is to find an aftermarket gauge that is similar enough in size/shape to adapt to the 'ammeter hole' in the dash. It can be done. It just takes patience, research, and more patience.

Great Britain
    Thanks
    The point is I'm not sure if there's enough space in there to fit a voltmeter.
    However, I also have one of these:

It mounts in the dash of an f-body where the clock goes or in some cars there is just a block off plate...as far as I know cop cars and taxis are the only ones that had em, but you can put one in any aspen or volare.

Since they're not all that accurate I decided against fitting it and went with a mechanical gauge but I could easily put a voltmeter in there. Not that interested in having a hard to read clock which tells me nothing about the engine/car.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm sure you'd have to modify the white plastic piece for voltmeter room.

Your idea of putting the voltmeter in the clock opening is good. That's where I put a digital oil pressure gauge. Used the housing from an old clock to mount the gauge into and then to the dash. A digital voltmeter would be perfect there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0001.JPG  

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a voltmeter in my clock location. Ghetto mounted for now, but I'm about to the point of making up some panel pieces.

Great Britain
    Thanks
    Thanks, I'll report back. Seems like using the clock space is indeed the best way of fitting one.