Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Lets see them rear ends

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen79 View Post
    I knew a guy many years ago, who was a walking parts catalog. He could tell you what p/n manifold a '70 340 'Cuda has, or the casting number AND part number for the exhaust manifold, for example. No idea how he did it. If it was a Mopar built between the late '60's and the early '70's, he seemed to always know exactly what version of a part and p/n a particular car, with the equipment options it had took, and if there was more than one p/n used, depending on other options, he knew that also. It was amazing. If you actually looked up the p/n, just to see if he was bullsh**ing or not, you'd find what he told you was correct.
    Known a few guys like that also. Never had that sort of talent personally but I used to be pretty good with the minutia. Especially the this goes with that sort of things. As time goes by I find myself not knowing anything until somebody asks tho. Like selective CRS. Sometimes the younger guys will start a conversation like they're almost accusing me of knowing something they need details on, and of course I've no idea what they're talking about. Not until they start filling in some supporting details or the situation where they remembered me showing them something previously. Then it comes back in full with too many details but at least it's thorough. On the flip side, sometimes I'll already know where a conversation is going and start forming my answer to the expected question ahead of time, then when it's finally asked I go blank. I had it a minute ago. Let's just shelve that until the answer comes back around in my head. LOL! Like a tool I just had in my hand and now it's gone. I could spend the next five minutes looking for it, but it would just be better to skip to something else until it pops back up in a bit. Guess that's why a forum of text is so good. A few keywords and the computer brain pops it back up.

One thing I've learned is that everything is about perspective. Lay a tool down but now you aren't at the angle you can see it so think it's lost. Well if you weren't standing somewhere else now you might see it. Where were you? Where were you exactly. Not sorta over here. Exactly where were you? Like walking into another room and trying to remember why you're there. Go back to point A for the perspective that sent you to point B. Tell me a story about how you know that I know something and maybe you'll get the story of what I know...

Isn't getting older a bunch of fun? I suppose that as long as I keep using logic and association to work around having too much info in my head it'll be alright. But it still always amazes me that doorways in the real world can be doorways in the mind. Now what the hockey sticks am I doing here? ....
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member doublechaz's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    I was going to complain about something to do with aging, but I don't remember what it was.

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    My brain was a knowledge trap before i got sick, particularly with trauma medicine and analytical chemistry. I was the same way with cars - I could see taillights in the dark and be able to tell you what car and year it is. Now, with the meds I'm on and progressive disease when I hear squirrel I cannot get to the window fast enough, then forget why I went to the window!
    Let's Go Brandon!

United States
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well that's pretty rough man. I really wish I'd have been able to ever meet you when you were practically local. Lot's of stuff in the direction you lived in that I always spend an entire day no matter if I only spend half an hour on any particular meeting, venue, or shop.

But I don't know if I've ever mentioned it here or not but the Squirrel's in my area generationally teach their young to stay off my patch of stupid grass that I spend way too much time maintaining in the warmer weather months. I nail their tails to my wall and stake their corpses where the rest will see.

But I've got a break from maintaining a stupid thing that doesn't provide me with a food crop for now!
    Volare Magnet

Aspen and Volare Super Member Stalkervette's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    In know what you mean -- I honesty regret not being able to meet up with the f-body brethren. Seems like I was out of the country every time there was a gathering.
    Let's Go Brandon!