Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paint it... Blue?

Aspen and Volare Senior Member SpeedBanana1977's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Seems like my 79's dashboard is darker blue than the rest of the plastic parts particularly the rear seat panel which seem to have been a lighter blue that has faded. Guess I'm going for somewhat custom look: I have black bucket seats, a black console and black carpet ready to go in a car that (I think) codes to a economy B3 light blue bench and light blue carpet. Good news is the "new" seats and console are legit Volare OEM.

Anyone ever consider doing a vinyl wrap on the interior parts? To test this idea out, I bought some 3M 1080 vinyl at the local Autozone and despite me being a novice at it, it turned out OK. The stuff isn't exactly cheap though.
    Last edited by SpeedBanana1977; 05-11-2016 at 04:59 PM.

Aspen and Volare Member symbasys's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedBanana1977 View Post
    Seems like my 79's dashboard is darker blue than the rest of the plastic parts particularly the rear seat panel which seem to have been a lighter blue that has faded. Guess I'm going for somewhat custom look: I have black bucket seats, a black console and black carpet ready to go in a car that (I think) codes to a economy B3 light blue bench and light blue carpet. Good news is the "new" seats and console are legit Volare OEM.

Anyone ever consider doing a vinyl wrap on the interior parts? To test this idea out, I bought some 3M 1080 vinyl at the local Autozone and despite me being a novice at it, it turned out OK. The stuff isn't exactly cheap though.
    They use a darker, low luster color on the dash in order to cut down on glare/reflections. Same with the rear package shelf. Due to the many different materials used, you end up with multiple shades of color throughout the interior because of varying amounts of fading. Areas that get more sun exposure fade at faster rates than ones that have more protection. I've got the same thing going on in my tan interior.

Aspen and Volare Super Moderator aspen79's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    The different types of interior materials weren't necessarily all exact matched when new. Between the vinyl and/or cloth, carpet, plastic, painted metal along with which batch run they came from, etc... there's bound to be some variation.
    1979 Aspen Sunrise 500". Bought in 1987 with 72,000 miles and a mighty E24 California emission 90hp leaning tower of power/4-speed
    1996 Dakota with a torque monster (not) 3.9L V-6 and automatic owned since 1998. Now demoted to winter duty
    2008 Ford Mustang V6, the new summer daily driver

Aspen and Volare Junior Member Aspen360's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks

express paint CHRYS-44810LH

https://www.expresspaint.com/automot...dProduct=11132

I want to paint my tuff wheel extension can (currently black) to light blue to match column in my 79volare. I'm going to try this one.

Aspen and Volare Super Member 77rr2x4s's Avatar
    United States
    Thanks
    Probably the closest your going to get. If it`s not perfect but close you might want to paint the whole column for best results.